Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas

    What Christmas feels like to me is the chill of the night air while sitting in the snow as tiny flakes fall down and cover my hair and coat and sprinkle ever so softly on my face. What Christmas looks like to me is watching the life size nativity scene come to life in my imagination while belting out my best rendition on "Oh Holy Night" What Christmas sounds like to me is the sound of my voice echoing off of the frozen landscape and bouncing back through the crisp pure silent night. What Christmas means to me is more that I can begin to put into words.  The only son of God coming to earth to live and to die so that I may live. 



Those scenes are of course memories from when I was growing up. But it is still hard for me to see this time of year as Christmas while spending it in such a different place.



    What Christmas feels like to me tonight is the slight chill in the air after it cooled from a balmy 70 degree day. What Christmas looks like to me is watching the palm trees lit up by pool lights stand out against a sky with no stars.  What Christmas sounds like to me is the sound of car alarms and crying kids outside my apartment building. . What Christmas means to me is more that I can begin to put into words. The only son of God coming to earth to live and to die so that I may live. 

   

    Even you southern Californians have to admit that a snow white peaceful Christmas manger scene evokes  more holiday emotions than the blaring car alarms do. But I do realize one thing, no matter where I am or how I am spending my Christmas one thing is still the same. What Christmas means to me is more that I can begin to put into words.  The only son of God coming to earth to live and to die so that I may live. 

Its really the important part.



    So maybe there is no snow, or nativity scene. No cold chill, or extended family crowded around a dinner table. But there is still the reason for the season after all. Have you ever noticed that even after opening all the presents and getting everything you wanted you still  have that feeling of "is that it? All the hustle and bustle and running around and its done?" No matter how much we run, how far we travel, or what the weather is like outside, there is one thing that will never change. Because he was, he is, and he will be.


"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.  Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. "



So set aside the running around. Be content without any snow. Let the food grow cold as you remember the reason for the celebration. And join me in wonder.

O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining, It is the night of the dear Savior's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining. Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices, For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices! O night divine, the night when Christ was born; O night, O Holy Night , O night divine! O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!


Merry CHRISTmas. Wherever you are tonight.




No comments:

Post a Comment